Cinnamon, turkey, sweet potatoes galore. A week later I am still reminiscing on a Thanksgiving filled with happy bellies, joyful hearts, and shared stories of all our times apart. One of my favorite family traditions growing up was making pumpkin pie with my mom starting from scratch and coming out with the perfect pie that my sisters and I would eventually eat for breakfast the next morning.
For those of you who have been looking for a fantastic homemade pumpkin pie recipe, I decided to share a bit of a family secret (with my mom’s permission of course). The pro tip is to start with the pie first so it can cool and settle while everything else cooks.
If you don’t have access to fresh pumpkin my mom has also found that this pumpkin puree from Libby’s is a great substitute for a delicious and creamy pie. We also found that if you’re in a pinch you can also always substitute the homemade crust for a store-bought one, they usually turn out pretty good.
Follow the steps below for a delicious and homey pie, and don’t forget to comment with pictures of your pies from the holidays!
Homemade Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Cup Butter
- 2 ½ Cups Flour
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ¼ – ½ Cup Ice Water
Pie Crust Instructions:
- Cut up butter into cubes and put into the freezer for 15 minutes
- Combine Sugar, flour, butter, and salt until a crumbly consistency
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of ice water (without the ice cubes) to the mixture
- Pour out dough and mix with hands until combined
- Do not overmix! The less worked, the flakier the dough
- Refrigerate for one hour or up to 2 days
- Roll dough and place in pie dish
- Pinch the edges of the crust
- Set aside for the filling!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Filling Ingredients:
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¾ Tsp Ground Ginger
- ¼ Tsp Ground Cloves
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Can 16 Oz. Solid Pack Pumpkin or Pumpkin Puree
- ¾ Cup Whipping Cream
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 3 Large Eggs (Beaten)
Pumpkin Pie Filling Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 325 *F
- Prepare crust and place in pie pan
- Use a whisk to combine sugars, spices, cornstarch, and salt until no lumps remain
- Blend in pumpkin, eggs, whipping cream, and sour cream until well combined.
- Pour filling into crust
- Cover edges of crust with foil
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Remove foil
- Bake for an additional 30-35 minutes until filling puffs at edges and center is almost set
- Cool on rack and enjoy!
Follow the steps above for a delicious and homey pie, and don’t forget to comment with pictures of your pies from the holidays!
If you happen to be in New York City for the Holiday’s don’t forget to check out my last blog post on the Sleepless Sweets Great NYC Pie Excursion.
Lots of love,